Friday, May 15, 2015

More DC on TV? (WTF? Friday...5/15/15)

Let's take a look at what DC has on its television schedule:
Well, yeah - I knew about that,
W...T...F...?
(sigh...)
There's no question that DC's had a stronger presence on television than in film. This goes way back to the The Adventures of Superman cartoons in the fifties. 
While Marvel's attempts on the small screen...
...have ranged from laughable...
...to passable...
...to legendary,
DC's been busy lately,



to varying degrees of success.

But this?
Should Supergirl get her own show? Sure. Why not. I've always been a believer that any character, when done well, could carry their own series - be it comic or television - with the emphasis on the well.
 Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is decent, but if it focused more on Coulson's activities within S.H.I.E.L.D. (both before and after its downfall), it would be a lot better. And that's a blog for another time.
This feels slapped together.
Ally McBeal as a bitchy Ugly Betty-type CEO? Kara cast as a twenty-something woman...but portrayed as an awkward teenager? 
I'm just not feeling it.
And that's not even dealing with the whole "where in the Arrow/Flash universe does this take place" thing. Which is another problem I have with all of DC's television shows.
Just sayin'...

Speaking of the Arrow/Flash 'verse:
...
Let's take a closer look.
Suicide Squad? Absolutely. Legends of Tomorrow? HELL no!
Was Ronnie even in the promo? Where the hell was he?
You need Rip Hunter to get the time-travel angle? Okay. But does he have to be British?
"Cause he sounds too much like this guy...and I was disappointed that it wasn't him.
This I'm okay with...but why isn't she Hawkwoman?
This threw me. 
Not because Caity Lotz is back...it's that she's White Canary - a character I've never heard of. But I could watch her kick a$$ all day. Even Laurel's.
(Ahem...)
Then there's this guy.
I like The Atom from the comics, and I like the casting...and portrayal of Ray Palmer...so far. My problem here is the look. It's Iron Man meets Ant-Man. My hope is that the armor is temporary - like Chris Evans' helmet/face-mask - and will eventually disappear altogether while still maintaining the "shrinkability". 

Okay DC, you've certainly got my attention...
...but now you have to deliver.

No comments:

Post a Comment