Saturday, May 30, 2015

First Impressions - Daredevil: "Speak of the Devil"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...

Episode 9: "Speak of the Devil"
The Good:
The priest.
I'm indifferent to religion in general, but if I had the opportunity to sit down and share a latte with a holy person of any faith, I'd take it. Just for the conversation. Seeing Matt (who is Catholic) do that here with the priest was cool. 

We got some names:
"James" Wesley,
and Vanessa "Marianna".

"The Devil of Hell's Kitchen." Nice one Karen!

I also liked how Matt's outfit was underneath his father's.

Plus, he meets some people this episode.
He meets Ben,
he meets Vanessa,
he meets Wilson,
and Kingpin meets the Man in Black.
Foggy meets the Man in Black too,
along with Nobu...
...or more like Ninja Nobu.

The Bad:
Speaking of Ninja Nobu, he kicks Matt's a$$. Like, a lot.
Did none of his time training with Stick...stick? I wasn't expecting Matt to win, and he did get some good shots in, but if Stick was there, or just on the roof listening to the fight, he would have been SO pissed.

Foggy learning Matt's secret. Not the why, but the how.
I get why they couldn't keep that "secret identity" thing going, but Matt should have been the one to tell him - while he was standing, or at least conscious...

The WTF?:
Foggy grew up in Hell's Kitchen?
I honestly don't remember that from the books. They met at Columbia University, and I guess Foggy grew up in New York, but Hell's Kitchen? That's new to me.

Adorkification Moment:
 Billy Club!

 Josie's Bar!

 
Wesley mentions the politician Cherryh, a popular name from Miller's run.
I'm also glad to hear it pronounced ("Cherry", like the fruit), 'cause I had a HELL of a time figuring out how to say it.

"My apartment's a bit...stark".
But I wasn't expecting her to show him a painting...as cool as that was.
I figured she'd show him some sculptures, like three-dimensional art, which were all over his place in the books. Maybe that's where they're going with this, and she'll bring them out later on? 

No comments:

Post a Comment