Friday, May 22, 2015

So, about Sansa...(WTF? Friday...5/22/2015)

Okay...here we go.
There's a lot of controversy over what happened to Sansa.
We have the books, and Mrs. Adorkification has read them all.
Not knowing much about this stuff myself, despite hearing lots of reaction about the recent goings on, I went to the most reliable source I have - my wife - to get her take. (I did the exact same thing back in the days following the Red Wedding for the exact same reason: To get a better understanding about all the reaction I'd been hearing about.)
To be honest, when I first read about what happened, I thought I was reading about Arya.
When I told Mrs. Adorkification that, she made a face, shook her head, and said "Arya'd never be raped." 
"Uh...okay.", I replied.
Then she explained to me what happens to Arya throughout the books (which I'm never going to get through) to defend her point. And as far as I'm concerned, she's right. Arya would never be raped.
 
But back to Sansa.
"Who raped her?", my wife asked, since she knew Sansa was never raped in the books. Well, that required a bit of research, and once I found a source she took over. A few quiet minutes later, she said "Oh. Well, that makes sense."
"Uh...okay?"
At some point on the show, Sansa's character was combined with another young woman from the books - who, at one point, was raped.
Knowing that "show" Sansa is an amalgam of two different women, my wife understood the purpose of the scene in the show.
She knows that the books are too big for everything to get translated to television, just like Watchmen is too big for a single film, and changes were made. To her, the rape in the books (this particular one at least) was an important part of the story, so it made sense here.
Everyone's entitled to decide whether or not to watch a show, and has the right to voice their opinion based on what they see. My big WTF? head-scratching issue here is that this isn't the first time a woman has been raped on this show, and it wasn't the first time a woman was raped in the books. If it was, I'd understand the controversy. This also isn't the first time viewers have been shocked by events on the show. So is this one event that big a surprise? I mean, CNN discussion-level surprise? 
I know that at some point, I'll see the episode...
...just as I did "The Rains of Castamere"...
...and come to my own conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment