Tuesday, May 12, 2015

First Impressions - Gotham: "The Anvil or the Hammer"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 21: "The Anvil or the Hammer"
The Good:
I'll start here.
This was a great villain. I don't know him from the books, so I have no idea how much tweaking was involved, but this is a guy I'd like to see face-off with Batman in 12-or-so years.
Having said that...I'm glad he's dead.
 
Hear me out...
This was a freaky-a$$ guy. The kinda guy who at one point you're always yelling at the screen "Shoot him! SHOOT HIM!"
So someone did. Gordon is awesome.
 But that last move? That was...S#!T...that was...I don't have the words.


Edward...F**KING...Nygma!
He had me at the head in the bag...but the hammer? OMFG! And props to him for bringing the body into the station. That took balls. Big ones.

Lucius!
I was wondering if/when he'd show up. In fact, I was wondering why he wasn't in this episode at all...until he showed up. 

Long time no see Butch! And tell me that scene didn't remind you of The Godfather...

Bullock cleaned up good!
He also kept his cool...until the pig showed up. He waited until the pig to close things down? Really?

Penguin's plan. That's some straight up scary stuff right there.

Maroni Tomato Paste?

The Bad:

I've never liked Barbara. She's like the Laurel of this show. 
She had a purpose, a reason for being there (and I'd like to think that she was - and possibly still is - meant for more to do and/or be), but that purpose-reason was a weak one at best. Gordon's "lady interest"? A "once before and now again lesbian"? Victim? Schemer? Fighter? Teacher? Potential hero? Potential villain. It would be easy to blame the actor, and I haven't seen Erin Richards in anything else, but that's not fair. Erin's not the strongest actor on the show, but she hasn't been given the strongest material either...until this.

They need to put this ordeal she went through to good use...or get her off the show.

The WTF?:
I know why Bruce pulled the alarm, but he should have covered his hand with a handkerchief or something...


"True stoic"? What the hell does that mean?

Adorkification Moment:
"Read between the lines"! THIS IS SO COOL!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment