Sunday, October 21, 2012

A word about Valiant Comics...

I was raised on DC comics before I even knew it - thanks to Superman: The Movie, Super Friends, Lynda Carter in Wonder Woman and reruns of the Adam West Batman series.

By the time I was old enough to walk to the local library and the nearby store (back before "convenience stores') and spend my own money, I was hooked on Marvel - thanks to Uncanny X-Men, New Mutants, Amazing Spider-Man, and at the time The Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe.

Between the two companies, I was full. I didn't care about Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, or Archie, or any of the Disney comics.

Then in college, I heard about this other company. Brand new, created by Jim Shooter. I took a chance and bought a copy of X-O Manowar #1.

Holy S#!t...

I was sucked in. Got everything I could. Harbinger, Shadowman, Solar: Man of the Atom, Eternal Warrior, Archer and Armstrong. Problem was, everybody knew about Valiant, and these issues were becoming harder and harder to find.

Then the bubble burst, and Acclaim took over. The books sucked. Everything changed.

Now Valiant is back, and the buzz is positive. Which is fantastic not only for the company, but for the medium.

But I just can't afford - in terms of money and space - to start collecting new series...of any company...anymore.

So I'll just call this a reboot a la Crisis on Infinite Earths and cheer from the sidelines...

...but when Hollywood needs some new ideas for properties, I'd buy a ticket to see a Valiant-related film.

Heck, I'd even see a Ninjak movie.


No comments:

Post a Comment