Wednesday, November 5, 2014

First Impressions - Gotham: 'Penguin's Umbrella'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 7: 'Penguin's Umbrella'
The Good:
Penguin shows his teeth beak.
I loved how he manipulated...pretty much everyone. He hurt Fish, had Nico killed, pushed Maroni, killed Maroni's second-in-command (who's name I can't remember) and had Falcone under his umbrella the whole time. 
* Bullock wising up and joining Gordon.
* Allen and Montoya saving Gordon's ass. If nothing else, this episode establishes once and for all the Gordon/Montoya relationship that I remember from Batman: The Animated Series. I admit that all I know about Allen, who was created after I stopped reading comics, is that he replaced Hal Jordan as The Spectre (don't ask).
* Zsasz is up to kill number 28 at this point, so he's already started. My hope is that we learn how he got started in a later episode...most likely through Hugo Strange.

The Bad: Why does Bullock wise up and join Gordon exactly? He was livid at Gordon earlier on, and I get that the turn around was necessary, but the reasoning behind Bullock's change of heart was lost on me.

The WTF?: Barbara comes back to Gotham...and confronts Falcone...after Gordon sends her away just so she can be caught and used against him?

Adorkification Moment: I've got an issue with the artist on this one. All his villains look alike.
I know we're looking at Victor Zsasz...
...but he looks too much like Flash's Kyle Nimbus.

No comments:

Post a Comment