Wednesday, November 12, 2014

First Impressions - Gotham: 'The Mask'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 8: 'The Mask'
The Good: My first thought when I saw the episode title was...
...Scarecrow.
Most likely because I remember the storyline in Batman where Tim rescues Batman from Scarecrow's clutches:
The gist was about how masks allow the wearers to free themselves of their regular personalities. A theme touched upon in this episode, but in a different way.
* Barbara leaving. She's my least favorite character, and though I know she's significant she's been getting on my nerves for a while.
* Essen stepping up.
* Bullock's speech.
Every single scene Nygma was in.
* Oh yeah, Selena's on this show.
* Bruce going to school, confronting a bully, and fighting back...with Alfred's help.
* Alfred. I haven't said enough about this guy. People see him as the father figure of this show, but I disagree. Alfred is a friend, teacher, guardian, bodyguard, cook, chauffeur, fencing partner, and conscience, but Bruce actually hugged Gordon - making the officer the father figure to me. I'm not saying Bruce hasn't hugged Alfred at some point on this show, but I don't remember it. Having said that, Alfred is a great character on this show and Sean Pertwee's doing a fantastic job.
* Penguin, in all his Penguin-y goodness.
* More Carol Kane!
* Gordon kicking ass. I forgot he was a soldier before arriving in Gotham.

The Bad: There was no Scarecrow in this episode.
* The scene with Penguin and his mother was cool...until she asked him to put the brooch on her. Ick.

The WTF?: Why was Selena in this episode - I mean besides reminding us she's there?

Adorkification Moment: Bruce asking Alfred to teach him how to fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment