Saturday, January 18, 2014

First Impressions - AoS: 'The Magical Place'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
That will happen over the summer after my purchase of the Blu-ray.
I've put my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 11: 'The Magical Place'
The Good: One thing I really enjoyed this episode was one of the main goals on Whedon's list - the team was acting like a team. Coulson was the one motivator everyone else needed to rely on each other to get the job done.
* Another cool thing is that now Coulson, who's always "trusted the system", is going out on his own to find out more about what happened. My hope? Every episode answers a question.

The Bad: Unfortunately, this brings yet another story arc into the mix. I will say that the Way-ship...or is it Mard-ship?...storyline's been kept low. We all know these two are having a thing, but it isn't constantly thrown in our faces. That's how Skye's hunt for the truth, and now Coulson's, should be done.
* I get that Coulson's been through at least seven operations, and the one we saw dealt with his brain, but I'm more interested in knowing why Coulson was brought back in the first place. Was it to test new Stark tech? No, because we damn well know Tony would have used it if he could to bring Phil back. Also, what about Coulson's...you know...heart! Was it a transplant? Is it artificial?

The WTF?: Po is killed...over the phone...by the Clairvoyant. I get that. But I could swear I heard some tech noises as he was killed, meaning the Clairvoyant does not have the ability to kill people psychically - like Xavier can. This also tells me the Clairvoyant can only read minds, not enter them. And has anyone else noticed that the Clairvoyant hasn't been given a gender yet?

Adorkification Moment: Raina telling Coulson about the woman who "wept for days" after hearing about his death. There's a lot of speculation that this woman is Wanda "Scarlet Witch" Maximoff, and that Coulson will eventually become the Vision. I'm willing to believe the first part, but not the second. I can't see Clark Gregg suiting up and becoming an intangible android. However...
I can see Ultron kidnapping Coulson in Avengers 2 (whether they know he's alive or not) and using his brainwave pattern as a template when he creates the Vision android at the end of the movie! This would lead to Vision/Coulson breaking Ultron's programming and becoming an Avenger by A3.
It could happen, this is the MMU after all...right?

No comments:

Post a Comment