Thursday, January 30, 2014

So, about Marvel sequels...

As we look ahead to April's Captain America: The Winter Soldier, and back at November's Thor: The Dark World, I thought I'd take a moment to pause and see where we are.
Marvel Studios has kicked some major Hollywood ass. As of right now, they've got eight films under their belt. All of which made money.

Obviously, the biggest financial success was The Avengers, but surprisingly, it's The Incredible Hulk that made the least.

Putting money talk aside, each film had a varying degree of success in terms of popularity. Thor: The Dark World had a luke-warm response - some loved it, some didn't - but made more worldwide that Iron Man 2, which was again loved by some and panned by others saying essentially that "there's too many characters".

I love every single film, but that in part is due to my being an old-school "Marvel Zombie".

Now, none of this is new information, and everything I've just mentioned's been talked about elsewhere.

So why bring this up?
Because there's talk about getting Anthony and Joe Russo, the directors of Captain America:TWS, to sign on for Captain America 3. It seems Cap 2 is just that good.

Yet there's been no talks at all about a third Thor film.

I'll be honest - back in my comic collecting days, I read a lot more Captain America and Iron Man issues than I did Thor. Not because I didn't like the character or the writing or the art, it's just that Thor wasn't my cup of tea. So I can understand why moviegoers might feel that way about the films.

So do we need a third Thor film? I'm not sure. Iron Man needed to be a trilogy because we had Iron Man 2 and not Iron Man: War Machine (although that would have been an awesome name!).

Now that Marvel Studios has moved past the numbering game and is giving each film a James Bond-type title, we can forget this "trilogy obsession" and simply have movies that move the MMU forward.

Which, lest we forget, Thor:TDW did...with the introduction of the second so-called "Infinity Stone".

So, if we get a film sometime after Avengers: The Age of Ultron set in deep space called...I dunno...
...Thor: Beta Ray Bill...I'd be fine with it.
In Marvel Studios I Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment