Friday, January 3, 2014

WTF? Fridays...The Hobbit 2 Edition...1/3/2014

My family and I saw The Hobbit: TDoS on New Year's Eve...and we were less than thrilled by it.
WARNING...SPOILERS AHEAD!
I've read enough comics in my day to know a filler issue when I read one, and this film was full of filler. The Hobbit was the one Tolkien book I've read cover to cover, and I don't remember any relationship happening between a female elf and one of the dwarves.
In fact, I don't remember any female dwarves at all.
It was great to see Orlando Bloom as Legolas again...but he doesn't appear in the book either.
Then there's the "Necromancer"/Sauron cameo, which also didn't happen in the book.
In fact, the one part of the film that I can't remember if it happened in the book or not were the scenes in Laketown when Oakenshield's crew went into hiding.
I will say that the entire film was beautiful to look at. The sets, scenery...heck even the action were fun to watch.
I did catch Peter Jackson and Stephen Colbert's cameos, so that was cool.
Adorkette was entertained, but even she felt that the dwarf/elf romance felt forced.
Mrs. Adorkification is the big Tolkien fan in the family, and even though she hasn't read The Hobbit in years, she felt that there was a lot of filler thrown in.
W...T...F...JACKSON?
Between the unnecessary stuff and the odd-ass places to end each film, this trilogy is looking dangerously close to becoming the next Star Wars Episodes I, II  and III.
Tread lightly Jackson, we all know how unforgiving fans can be...

No comments:

Post a Comment