Sunday, April 12, 2015

First Impressions - AoS: "Afterlife"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
That will happen over the summer after my purchase of the Blu-ray.
I've put my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once after the jump.
You've been warned...

Season 2 Episode 16: "Afterlife"

The Good:
The opening scene with Coulson in the car lot. 

Hunter in the car lot.
The bulk of the episode was about these two, trying to get help. And a quinjet. The gadgets they used were cool, and the banter between them worked. Especially when the "help" arrived...
...priceless.
Maybe some of it was the expectation - I hadn't heard Deathlok was coming back, so Coulson's keeping his contact a secret from Hunter (and us) had me wondering who we might see - but I was glad to see Deathlok again. 

Fitz...being Fitz.
I totally get this guy. He's been through hell, been betrayed by HYDRA, Mack, Simmons and even the head of the Academy. But he still trusts Coulson and May completely. But that leads me right into...

The Bad:
What's the deal with her? Just WHAT is the deal with her?
At first I was like "YAY! Jemma's BACK!" Then I was all "DAMN! She's really not?" Then I was "awww, she's good. She even made him that sandwich." They should just make up their damn minds about her and move on. 
But in that scene where Fitz is in the vehicle and has the real cube and sees the sandwich? As he was opening it up and taking that first bite, I swear to GOD I was expecting some vehicle to come out of the intersection and ram into it. And I'm sure I'm not the only one.
What...why would I think that? 
Maybe it's because that s#!t's been happening every damn episode lately. Maybe because the last time Fitz had that sandwich, more than half of it went sailing into a mud puddle. It's just that with SO many episodes having yet another bad thing happen just as the good stuff starts rolling, I was keeping my hopes down. I don't care if that was the intent of the powers-that-be, it's not a good feeling to have. Your audience shouldn't be looking for the next shoe to drop - it takes away from the enjoyment. And this show has more than a closet full of dropped shoes.

May's scenes with Adama were pointless.
I guess we were supposed to wonder if she'd take his offer or not, but I don't care. If she didn't, she'd be true to her character and loyal to Coulson and the S.H.I.E.L.D. that Fury built. If she did, she'd be the 27th character in this show to change sides and it would be the second time she became something fans weren't expecting. I'm tired of that crap. I mean, I'm glad she didn't shoot him, and realizing the gun was in fact loaded was cool, but juuuuust get ooooon with iiiiit!

Yeah, he was cool. BUT...
...how long did it take them to write him back in?

The WTF?:
Daisy/Skye. Not so much her as what they're doing with her.
I get that Gordon took her someplace "safe", and I get her losing her s#!t when she found Raina. But her mother finally meets her...and doesn't tell her who she is? I mean it is her, because she told Cal she saw "their daughter". So why couldn't that secret be revealed?

Daisy/Skye not showing her powers more dramatically.
Wherever they took her - and I'll get to that in a minute - was up in the mountains. So when "cute guy #7" asked her about her abilities, while they were outside and looking at the mountains, why didn't she just show him by shaking some snow off a peak miles away? That would have been AWESOME!

The other people there.
Daisy/Skye is "safe", where no one will hurt her...but everyone else there is what? Afraid of her? Jealous of her? Want to be her? Hate her guts? I don't get it. No one there looks angry or upset or afraid or anything. They're just walking around, hanging out at restaurants having a cuppa chai or whatever and looking at stuff. There's nothing about these "others" to indicate anything cute guy #7 was saying was true - that they're hunted or learning about their powers or afraid to use their powers or some s#!t. They just look like they're hanging out in Central Park. The hell?

Wherever they're going with this guy, they should get there. Soon.

Adorkification Moment: 
Daisy/Skye's super-secret location?
Yeah - it's K'un-Lun.
I was looking for Daniel Rand to show up...but so help me if "Lincoln Campbell" is just another fake name...
...like "Skye".

No comments:

Post a Comment