Wednesday, April 22, 2015

First Impressions - Daredevil: "World on Fire"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...

Episode 5: "World on Fire"
The Good:
This shot.
This was a cool shot. I mean yeah, it was posted months ago, but having the camera move up the building to find him? Way better.

This scene.
It felt very Tarantino. I loved it. Matt standing in one spot as the camera spun, and then vanishing, then appearing elsewhere. And that poor guy...singing that spooky-ass song only to get shot in the back of the head by a stray bullet? Without knowing what the hell was going on? Damn!

Foggy in action.
So far, we've seen Nelson and Murdock in the courtroom. But like so many lawyer-based shows going all the way back to Perry Mason, much of what happens with a case takes place outside the courtroom. This fulfilled that lawyery-ness, and seeing Foggy take down that woman like that? In the lobby no less? Karen's face says it all. 

More Turk!

Vanessa...bringing a gun on Date Number Two.
After that first experience, I didn't expect her to agree to a second one. But if she's going out with that guy a second time, bringing her gun with her makes sense. It also shows that a) she even owns a gun, and b) she likes a little danger.

This relationship.
Frank Miller said it best in the interview on the 2003 Daredevil DVD. Matt's love life is the worst. Again, I don't know Claire from the books so I have no idea if these two ever had a thing, but this episode made it clear - Matt's love life is the worst.

The Bad:
This scene had me...until we learn he'd dated that other lawyer.
Yeah. That's what I thought too.

The WTF?: 
This relationship.
In the books, Foggy meets a woman during a case - a somewhat wealthy woman if I remember correctly - and over time they get married. I'm not suggesting they do that here at some point, but never in any of the books did Foggy and Karen have a thing. Matt and Karen have a thing, on and of and on again, for decades. In fact, the closest Foggy's ever been to sharing one of Matt's girlfriends was Glori - an Irish photographer...but I'm getting ahead of myself. My point is, this relationship is coming out of left field if you've read any of the books. 

This effect.
It looks cool, and I don't hate it, but it's not at all how I pictured Matt sees the world. Maybe Rhythm and Hues spoiled me.

 This bulls#!t.
Matt can hear a fractured rib and smell cologne several floors away. Even if the three or four police cars kept their sirens (and lights) off and maintained radio silence, you're telling me he wouldn't notice several vehicles moving towards him rather quickly?

Turk was working for Fisk the whole time?
Something must be wrong here. Turk in so not this savvy in the books. He was used for comic relief, showing how simple-minded the common thug can be. If Turk can't be that guy on this show, okay. But someone needs to be that guy on this show. Just 'cause.

Adorkification Moment:
Fisk framing the "Man in the Mask". Sounds familiar...
...like from a comic or something.

No comments:

Post a Comment