Friday, April 10, 2015

An AoS spin-off? (WTF Friday...4/10/2015)

So there's talk of a spin-off.
Well, now, hang on a minute. It may not be that bad... it all comes down to the who, the what and the why.
My biggest issue with AoS has always been that it wasn't Marvel enough. It's too much X-Files meets Generic Cop Show
Yes. Coulson is the glue, but what exactly is this show bringing to the universe?
I wanted the show to be about how Coulson et. al. deal with, address and cope with all the stuff going on. Last season's "Yes Men" episode was a fantastic example of this: 
Someone escaped from Asgard...which is fine because Coulson's team has dealt with Asgardians before in "The Well" and know what they're dealing with. Sif shows up - great connection - and she helps them track down Lorelei - new Marvel character introduced - who has an effect on men. Lorelei captures Ward (this is before all that HYDRA crap) and Coulson uses S.H.I.E.L.D. resources to help track her to a hotel in Vegas. They send in a S.W.A.T. team - made entirely of female S.H.I.E.L.D. agents and led by May - but lose her. In the end, Lorelei is captured, Sif promises Coulson not to tell Thor he's alive, and Ward is back to normal (until all that HYDRA crap happens).
THAT'S what the entire series should be like: 
Coulson's team (and S.H.I.E.L.D. in general) meeting and dealing with ESTABLISHED MARVEL CHARACTERS!!! None of this "We're S.H.I.E.L.D., no we're S.H.I.E.L.D." nonsense.
W...T...F...?
Agent Carter, for all it's strengths, went in the same direction.
I don't want to see Marvel shows about one character from the films working with a bunch of unknowns against more unknowns who may-or-may-not-be in cahoots with a bunch of enemy unknowns. 
I want characters. Marvel characters.
And I want to see how the "powers that be" interpret those characters into the MMU. I don't expect Matt Murdock to show up on AoS, like ever, but having Foggy defend Melvin Potter against S.H.I.E.L.D. lawyers who want to put him in the Vault? THAT'S an episode I'd love to see.
So if AoS is set in its ways, maybe a spin-off isn't a bad idea...
...just as long as it's about something other than a super-secret organization too super-secret to feature actual characters from the Marvel Universe. ENOUGH of that already!

No comments:

Post a Comment