Friday, April 24, 2015

Kingdom Comes early to the DC Movie Universe (WTF? Friday...4/24/2015)

I hate where this is going.
First of all, I noticed the DC logo is missing the symbol. You know...
 ...that little part of the logo that shows Green Arrow...
 ...or Constantine...
...or Gotham?
Yeah - that part. It's just gray in the trailer. That does not bode well. It tells me that they don't know how to categorize this film, since their whole reasoning behind changing their logo...
...was so they could distinguish different franchises within a unifying symbol.
This tells me two things:
There's panic,
and confusion within the DC offices.
As for the trailer itself, I'm scratching my head. The Superman statue has "False God" written on it. Well, who ever said that he was God? Certainly not Kal-El. He was welcomed in the comics, and since the people of Metropolis saw him as their rescuer in MoS rather than the instigator of the violence and destruction, he should be welcomed as a hero here. But I guess not.
In fact, it looks like this film is all about Batman fighting Superman.
The thing is - I don't want to see Batman fight Superman. At least not yet. Maybe I never understood their relationship. I know that in Miller's The Dark Knight Returns, they fight later in life, when their political views come to a head. It made sense, and was much more dramatic, because there was already so much of a friendship and history between these characters in the world they were in before they had to face off.
Not so much here.
And where's Wonder Woman in all this?
 Where's Aquaman? Are they uniting after the fight? Because of it?
The more I think about it, the more I feel like this isn't The Dark Knight Returns...
it's Kingdom Come.
This world doesn't want Superman in it. They've gone past the "isn't it cool that superheroes exist?" phase and moved deep into the "we don't want those stinkin' superheroes here!" phase. This upsets me. I would have gladly gone into Kingdom Come territory later...AFTER the first batch of lighthearted films.
In other words...
...this should have been DC's "Phase Two".
  

No comments:

Post a Comment