Friday, October 31, 2014

WTF? Friday 10/31/2014...Phase Three Part One

I must be in the minority.
I like my movies simple: Meet the hero, hero loses to villain, hero picks himself up and wins. In terms of special effects, you can put all the money you want into it. Make it shiny. Make it loud. As for easter eggs, the more the better. 
But when it comes to story, simple = awesome.
With the exception of Guardians of the Galaxy, the entirety of Phase Two is one long Empire Strikes Back and I don't see Avengers: Age of Ultron being any different. While the idea of Phase Two being one long second act looked good on paper, in reality not so much. 
See, Empire was one film. Arguably the best...today. But back in 1980 it left a lot of issues unresolved until four years later. Annoying? Sure. Irritating? Fine. 
But it was one film.
Other films came out that same year (and the next three before Jedi) that allowed audiences to find solace in "happy endings" or that at least answered the presented questions and vanquished the presented threats. That way, we weren't pacing back and forth bitchin' and moanin' about what was gonna happening next (like I have been, admittedly, since Iron Man 3.) And I double-dog-dare you to find me anyone who sits down to watch Empire without IMMEDIATELY following it with Jedi. It just doesn't happen. Why? 
To see how it ends.
The Avengers came out in 2012, and in the two years since we've had three out of four films with down endings. Hopeful, maybe...but definitely not simple: Fake Mandarin, Fake Odin, Fake S.H.I.E.L.D.
W...T...F...?
Despite this, I took it, mostly by pacing back and forth waiting desperately for Phase Three - where everybody picks themselves up and wins. 
But instead, it looks like more f**king fighting...fan-f**king-tastic.
Being raised on Marvel, I have no problem with heroes fighting other heroes. That's been par for the course for decades. In fact, watching Iron Man and Cap in a knock-down drag-out sounds awesome. 
But in the end, they team-up...and defeat the bad guy.
I've never read Civil War, and I never want to, but I know the MMU is going about things differently. This is good. I also understand that even though rumors have been out and about for a while, this film was announced only a few days ago - so casting and script and all that is still in pre-production. 
But is there even going to be a villain in this film?
And how is Steve going to fight Tony without his shield? I mean...it's broken, right? Winter Solder, Falcon, Sharon Carter, Crossbones...and Black Panther (about damn time) are supposed to appear, but will they be fighting each other? Will Infinity Gauntlet factor in somehow? What the hell?
I know intel to trickle out for the next year, so I'm not expecting to pace back and forth for yet another Marvel Movie Phase. What I'm saying is - my legs are tired and my head hurts. 
Would Serpent Society have been that bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment