Tuesday, October 28, 2014

First Impressions - Gotham: 'Spirit of the Goat'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 6: 'Spirit of the Goat'
The Good:
Dan Hedaya! I remember him from Running Scared (1986) with Billy Crystal and Gregory Hines. He was great.
* So there was a time when Bullock was "the white knight" huh?
* Is it me, or did the nurse Bullock talked to about Dix's "magazines" step right out of B:TAS?
* Carol Kane!
* Bullock going along with Gordon saying he didn't kill Oswald...until Oswald showed up. 
* Bruce's comment about how he couldn't be taken from someone by the Goat...and Alfred's face.
* Selena's visit to the Manor. The smile she made? Priceless.

The Bad: The Spirit of the Goat felt...and looked...a little too Spirit of the Bat to me.
* If we were supposed to worry about Bruce being a potential victim, I never felt it. Both of the victims we saw, and I think at least one other name mentioned, were all women in their late teens/early twenties. Bruce didn't fit the profile.
* A Hugo Strange reference would have been nice. It may have been hinted at, but...why?

The WTF?: I've got a few:
1) How would Oswald have known Gordon was being arrested for "killing" him?
2) Since when did Major Crimes Unit become Internal Affairs?
3) The bathtub scene with Oswald and his mother kinda creeped me out a little bit.
4) When Bullock confronted the therapist, I was waiting for either someone to come down the stairs behind him and attack, or someone - like the father of the victim, who's name I can't remember right now - knocking Bullock over the banister. It looked kinda cool, but it bugged me. A seasoned cop wouldn't stand there like that.
5) Why would Gordon, after knocking the Goat Spirit guy onto the ground, pick him back up onto his feet in order to hit him some more? Again, not something a seasoned cop would do. Gordon would have put his knees into the guy's chest and wailed on him until he lost consciousness.

Adorkification Moment: I got two.
1) Nigma's mug. I smell holiday present.
2) Kristin Kringle. I don't remember this gal from the books, but she oughta be. She looked like Felicity Smoak mixed with Harley Quinn and a pinch of Janine Melnitz...and like she came straight out of Burton's Batman.

No comments:

Post a Comment