Saturday, March 14, 2015

First Impressions - AoS: "Who You Really Are"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
That will happen over the summer after my purchase of the Blu-ray.
I've put my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once after the jump.
You've been warned...

Season 2 Episode 12: "Who You Really Are"


The Good:
I loved it when the team arrived at the scene and pulled a C.S.I. It reminded me of the pilot episode, when Fitz-Simmons and May checked out the medical facility, but this felt better. Probably because there was less tech and more detective work. Plus there's so much more in the S.H.I.E.L.D. database to pull from - in terms of aliens, powers, technology, as well as personal experience. It felt good to watch the team figure out what happened.

I'm gonna be talking about Daisy/Skye a lot...fair warning.
Her combat training session with May. She's not even close to being the close-quarters combatant May is, but that block she gave at May's attack was pretty badass.
Lady Sif!
I have no problem whatsoever with characters returning to the show... 
...that's right, I'm looking at YOU Graviton!
Giving Sif amnesia and having Coulson et. al. find her and help solve the mystery? Genius. Then having her and the Kree guy actually agree that those exposed to the Terrigen Mist should be "put down" was awesome!

Then there's Coulson.
First, he helped Sif get her memory back. Even if it meant putting himself in harm's way...because Sif didn't know him and could have easily snapped his neck. But you wanna know what's even cooler?
Standing between Daisy/Skye and both Sil and the Kree...with gun drawn. I'm a sucker for loyalty.
Well yeah - May was there too, and she's a badass fighter in her own right, but would she have stood up against both of them if Coulson wasn't there? 
If that were the case, they would have fought, May would have been knocked out, Daisy/Skye would have been taken, and May would have planned a rescue mission after she came to. 
But Coulson, standing by his team and willing to fight, talked his way out of it.


Back to May...
...did anyone else see her training Daisy/Skye to control her emotions as part of this evolution? I sure didn't.


Then Daisy/Skye shoots herself, changing the equation. Like I said. Badass

I also liked the "net-gun". More cool tech like that please.

The Bad:
What the hell are they doing with Simmons?
I don't trust her. Is that wrong? Is that how they want us to feel about her? She says she would never hurt Daisy/Skye, but...
...that's some straight up right there.
And who the hell is she to give Fitz s#!t about lying? I'm with Fitz on that one, she lied to him first.
I can see her going the J.J.J. route and use some confiscated Mist to create something to "eliminate" what she sees as the threat...only to have it backfire on her and give S.H.I.E.L.D. a Scorpion-type thing to deal with.

Then there's Coulson searching for (and most likely end up taking care of) a growing group of people with uncontrollable powers while aliens hunt them down and the rest of humanity start fearing them.
Sounds familiar...

The WTF?: 
and
Well, at least we get a name: Backup. 
Exactly when did Hunter overhear the word? I must have missed that bit. But at least Mack used a choke hold on him and didn't kill him outright.
What? I've seen enough WrestleMania in my day to know that much.

Where's the "post-shooting-myself-to-get-me-out-of-the-equation" bandage on Daisy/Skye?
Is there an Inhuman healing factor? I'd like to think so...
...but someone would have noticed.

Adorkification Moment: 
Yeah...kiss that Warehouse 13 reunion season goodbye.
But in addition to having a living Kree on the show, what was also cool was the nitrogen-based tech he used to make his skin not blue.
Just sayin...

No comments:

Post a Comment