Saturday, March 21, 2015

First Impressions - Arrow: "The Offer"

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...

Season 3 Episode 16: "The Offer"
The Good:
We finally get the Lazarus Pit, which was cool. In fact, it was the coolest thing in this episode.

The Bad:
Murmur? Who he?
I don't have a problem with shows like Arrow using characters I'm not familiar with, as long as they have some character to them. We learn why this guy's mouth is sewn shut, but all I kept thinking was: "How does this guy eat?"
My guess? Not what they wanted me to think.
It would have been cool to see how he eats - even if it's the simple answer of intravenously. Or if they gave him an interpreter...someone who knows his motions and tells the rest of the crew what to do. Something more than just "the gun-toting villain of the week".

Ra's.
He gives Oliver the "offer", even tells him no harm would come to him if he refuses, and then goes about ruining Arrow's reputation so he's forced to say yes?
Why not have Ollie say yes, wait until Ra's dies, and then choose another successor?

I'm also getting tired of Thea complaining about her family. Or families. Or whatever. And Oliver making her take care of Malcolm? What's that about?

The WTF?: Thea's place has two fireplaces? In the same room? They must be gas, because I didn't see any piles of wood around. Isn't that expensive? Yeah, she still owns the club...right?...but that would only be enough for the apartment. There's no way heat would be included.
See - this is the stuff I'm thinking about while watching this.
It didn't hold my attention. I wasn't in it. In short, it was a filler episode.

Adorkification Moment: There wasn't one, but...
when Felicity said "Celebration dance", I was actually expecting one. Maybe in the season's blooper reel?

No comments:

Post a Comment