Thursday, May 29, 2014

The day just got a little sadder...

Maya Angelou, renowned poet and author, has died.
I'm the first to admit it...I'm not big on poetry. In fact, it was my wife who sat me down and explained the poetic genius that is Shakespeare back when we were dating. She also told me that one of her favorite contemporary poets was Ms. Angelou. 
I first heard of her when she read at Bill Clinton's Inauguration on January 20th 1993. She read "On the Pulse of Morning" (which won the Best Spoken Word Grammy in 1994) and became a nationally (if not internationally known artist.
You can look up her multitude of works and accomplishments elsewhere, but Maya Angelou has had a major influence on my life.
How influential? 
My wife and I named Adorkette after her.

No comments:

Post a Comment