Sunday, May 4, 2014

Have you heard about this?

They're called Marvel Fact Files by British publication company Eaglemoss.
It's roughly 10 pages of random data about random characters throughout the Marvel Universe...
...in "loose-leaf" format.
That means the pages can be separated and placed into a 3-ring binder (remember those?)
to be organized as you see fit.
Anyone my age may remember seeing this kind of format before:
The OHOTMU Master Edition, which followed the (excellent) Deluxe Edition,
and the (not so much) Update '89.
In the Master Edition, every single character had the exact same pose, basically a full-body mug shot,
with the hands in that rather awkward position Iceman is presenting for us here.
It was a terrible idea, and the artwork (never mind the data) were sub-par...
...and I bought every issue because I was a Marvel Zombie.
Don't judge...
Getting back to Eaglemoss' creation.
This is published weekly, or at least it was when it started (I'm not sure if that schedule is still true).
I've bought three of these: #3, #9, and #17.
Much better than that Master crap.
For starters, the OHOTMU:ME pages were smaller that the size of a comic.
The Fact Files are larger.
Plus there's this...
...cut-aways of characters' insides.
I don't have any Wolverine pages, but I do have a rather nice fold-out on one of Tony's armors and Deathlok.
Deathlok!
And while they recommend how to file what pages where on the inside front cover of each issue,
you can organize them anyway you want to.
The downside?
According to Eaglemoss' website, you can only subscribe...
 if you live in the UK, Ireland, South Africa, Asia and Europe.
They do not ship to the U.S.
But...
...you can find them on ebay, or places like Midtown Comics, and have them shipped to you.
The upside?
Each issue costs about $5.00.
In England they sell for about 3 pounds.
(I can't find that British pound symbol on my keyboard.)
While this isn't something I would actively subscribe to,
I'll probably keep my eyes open whenever I find myself at a place, or have $5 burning a hole.
I am a Marvel Zombe after all...
P.S. - It looks like they're starting up a DC Comics Fact Files as well.
Not sure how many issues have come out, but that's cool. 

No comments:

Post a Comment