Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Whaddyamean we've been playing it wrong?


I admit I'm not the most knowledgeable gamer...or the most knowledgeable card gamer...in the world.

And it's true that I simplified the rules so my daughter could play the game.

But now that she's started going to the local store for open gaming on the occasional Saturday, it seems I over-simplified the rules without even knowing it.

I knew that defending creatures could do damage to attacking creatures, but I didn't know that you could only play one land card per turn, or that you take damage every turn for each unused land.

These change the nature of the game dramatically.

This realization occurred when the Mrs. started playing. See, she spent her youth playing D&D, so she knows her way around role-playing and damage-dealing and the like.

We even went from 40-card decks to 60 for legality.

So now we're all learning the game over from scratch and with the new M13 cards, there's more terminology and abilities to learn - like flash and deathtouch.

I'm learning not to like deathtouch.

At all.

No comments:

Post a Comment