Friday, August 15, 2014

WTF Friday...8/15/2014

I saw the 50th Anniversary episode last night...
...and it made my head hurt.
SPOILER ALERT - if you haven't seen it yet, you know what not to do.
The episode had three incarnations of the Doctor. The 10th, the 11th, and what is currently called The War Doctor. This part I understand. It isn't the first time there's been multiple incarnations on screen together, and a time-traveler able to live multiple lives meeting previous/future selves works story-wise.
This episode also explains how the Time-War ended without destroying Gallifrey. Which works, because it's explained during Tennant's tenure that Gallefrey was suspended in time at the end of that war.
Still with me?

But by introducing The War Doctor, who came after the Eighth and before the Ninth, there are now twelve incarnations of the Doctor. Smith is Twelve, Tennant is Eleven and Eccleston is Ten.
(sigh...)
We also learn that Tennant's Doctor actually married Queen Elizabeth I. (Who I believe was the same Queen Elizabeth that was Henry VIII's daughter and lived in Shakespeare's time.) Isn't she the one who yelled after Tennant's Doctor in "The Shakespeare Code"?
W...T...F...?
After finishing the episode (which had a nice cameo by Tom "Fourth Doctor" Baker), I complained to Mrs. Adorkification (a fan of the series) about my headache. She told me to essentially shut up and enjoy the episodes and not to take things so seriously.
Oh, really?
The way I see it, in order to appreciate the fascination of a time travelling alien, one has to appreciate the time-space continuum. If said time-space continuum doesn't matter, who cares what Who does? It's irrelevant, and therefore none of the stories matter...making it all crap.
This is one of the reasons I gave up reading comics. The time-stream is so malleable, any writer can come up with any story taking place at any time within any character's history. While this may be fine for the readers of the here-and-now, the readers of what-has-gone-before (raises hand sheepishly) get migraines. 
It must be me, because I can't go to a Newbury Comics store without seeing all sorts of Doctor Who merchandise - right down to sonic screwdrivers and clothing for different incarnations. 
I guess The Doctor just isn't my cup of tea...
 ...I drink coffee anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment