Saturday, August 2, 2014

GotG review...Spoiler-Free

So Mrs. Adorkification, Adorkette and I saw the film last night and we all enjoyed it to varying degrees. GotG is - by far - the funniest, and funnest of the "Phase-Two" films. On that all three of us agree.

Beyond that...

Adorkette liked it very much. She laughed a lot and considers this one of her favorite Marvel movies. (A comment I overheard a fellow moviegoer say to his friend on our way out.) Mrs. Adorkification thought the film was great. She also found it light-hearted, and a lot of fun, mostly because the characters reminded her of friends we had in college.

I, however, have mixed feelings about it.

Yes, the film is funny. Downright hilarious at times. It also has quite a few easter eggs. Not just to reference previous films, but to further expand the Marvel Universe - which was cool. Unfortunately, most of my concerns involve spoilers, so I won't be getting into those until my spoiler filled review in about a week. But I can say here and now that part of my "meh-ness" comes from a lack of comic knowledge of this particular cosmic group. I had the same experience when Thor came out. In both cases, the films - in and of themselves - are pretty good. Well paced, well acted and enjoyable to watch. But as a comic fan, I didn't read either series (GotG especially - since it came out after I stopped reading/collecting) nearly as much as I did Iron Man, Captain America, or The Avengers. And, of course...
...which, I reluctantly admit, was very very good.
I know...
...I know...
There will be talk, discussion, dissection and healthy debate over this movie, which is good. But I encourage everyone to go see the film, because it is good, light-hearted fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment