Thursday, October 10, 2013

First Impressions - AoS: 'The Asset'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
That will happen over the summer after my purchase of the Blu-ray.
I've put my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once after the jump.
You've been warned...
Episode 3: 'The Asset'
The Good: Where to begin? Well, the special effects at the beginning were cool. My first thought was Magneto, but I had to remind myself that it couldn't be him. Then I thought Vibro, an Iron Man foe.
* Nice piece of trucker tech. Wouldn't have thought of him as an agent.
* There was that pesky ol' 6-1-6 again. I guess that's the "Bus"'s designation...which is nice.
* When May mentioned Coulson's death under her breath, I was a bit shocked. It's the first time in the series that I noticed anyone mentioning the word "died" other than Coulson...who understandably would see whatever was done to him as death, with the bright light and all. (Hey Joss - any chance of a Death cameo before the Guardians of the Galaxy film?)
* I also liked the fact that the fence Coulson and Ward had to get through was made of radiation. Not electricity, not barbed wire...radiation.
The Bad: I'm not feeling the sexual tension between Ward and Skye. I'm not saying there has to be anything there, but if there's supposed to be, I'm not feeling it.
* I get why Fitz would be eating popcorn during the mission, but why would he wander to the other side of the room when he'd be needed at any moment? Just so he could yell at May to "move" and get away with it?
The WTF? The end of the intro bugged me. There's a valuable "thing" requiring super security while being transported, in an eighteen-wheeler mind you, but the "bad guy" doesn't see a problem dropping the truck from such a height without damaging the item? Lucky bad guy. And then we find out the "item" is a person in what looks like a space capsule ejector seat, totally unaffected by the drop. Good thing his glasses didn't fly across the room. Also...I think the hand at the end was a bit much.
Adorkification Moment:We finally get to see a character featured in the books!
Graviton
I admit it - I didn't recognize the name Frank Hall. My mind kept going to Carter Hall and Hank Hall...and that's just wrong. Mrs. Adorkification was surprised at my ignorance. BUT, when Fitz explained the Gravity-type-machine, I knew it was Graviton....although I went to my OHOTMU-DE #5 to confirm it.
I didn't know the character very well, but I remember the first issue I saw him in...

...back in 1984!
Plus - did anyone else catch the proposed gravity element for the periodic table on the screen behind Quinn?

No comments:

Post a Comment