Thursday, October 10, 2013

Random Thoughts on AoS:

Having watched the third episode, I've kind of formed some opinions about the series as a whole.
First of all, Joss is Boss.
But I think he's being haunted by his past...
Let's face it. Firefly is his Citizen Kane.
Yes, there were other creative people involved, but this was Joss being Joss.
It was his take on culture, society, the sci-fi genre...even relationships between men and women.
This feels a little (dare I say it) watered down.
Maybe I'm just seeing too much into it, but there are a lot of similarities between the two shows.
Then there's the premise of the series.
Iron Man set the bar of "grounded in reality" pretty high.
Incredible Hulk, IM2, and the rest all met that bar, but they were movies carefully planned out with Kevin Feige at the helm.
All the characters were presented as "this is how they're meant to be seen".
And I accepted everything.
AoS is a weekly series set within that universe, and Joss is at the helm. Which is okay...
...but three episodes in I'm just not feeling the excitement and awesomeness that was Avengers.
I thought it was because there wasn't enough "Marvel" in the stories,
but after seeing how Graviton was introduced in Episode 3, I'm left scratching my head.
Instead of an action-packed showdown with a baddie, I got a stereotypical-looking scientist falling in goo...
...and getting locked away.
Is Joss getting cold feet? Is he not committing to full-on Marvel for fear of cancellation?
I was really worried...
...until I saw this.
It turns out ABC had not committed to a full season of the show, until today.
And now everything makes sense. Joss wasn't afraid of commitment, ABC was.
We've only been shown the episodes made before the season started and the ratings came in.
So with the additional nine episodes ordered, AoS Season One will be a full 22 shows.
What does this mean? Well for one thing...
...the box set will be bigger.
For another, after the big sigh of relief Joss can tell the stories he wants to tell as opposed to stories he thought he could tell.
Plus it also means that we'll get that episode where Coulson's team is ordered to transport a "potential threat" to Project Pegasus...
...only to get ambushed.

No comments:

Post a Comment