Thursday, October 3, 2013

First Impressions - AoS: '0-8-4'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
That will happen over the summer after my purchase of the Blu-ray.
I've put my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once after the jump.
You've been warned...



Episode 2: '0-8-4'
The Good: The team went to Peru. As in another country. It makes the point that every film we've seen is on the same planet. We sort of got that with Avengers, but that was more of an orbital view versus the 'down to earth' POV with AoS
* Nice nod to Wash with the hula girl.
* Coulson's been around. Who knew he was a playa? 
The Bad: I hate unresolved mysteries. They find a "thing" that's connected to Hydra that's been buried for centuries. Do we find out how it got there or who was responsible? No. In fact, the team completely loses interest in finding out. All they talk about is how dangerous it is and how to dispose of it, leading me to...
* ...the fact that this 0-8-4, this item of unknown origin, isn't anything new from the comics! After that Thor buildup, I was expecting Klaw's sonic blaster or maybe Professor Phineas T. Horton's original android. But instead, it's just yet another piece of tech from past films.
* The show's starting to feel Firefly-esque to me - with the 'Bus', the characters' interactions and such. It's not bad...but I feel like I've "been-there, seen-that". Hopefully that will be toned down over time.
The WTF?: Okay Joss...you're telling me that a decompressed aircraft, with all this air getting blown out, can be stopped by an inflatable raft? That's some straight up bulls#!t right there. 
Adorkification Moment: There actually was one...and a half. I'll start with the half.
Any, and I mean any, mention of 616 is awesomeness in a box. For those not in the know, Marvel has established that their books aren't just in the same universe, but are in just one of an infinite number of universes, collectively called the Multiverse. Each one is based on a different event, and is designated by a different number. 
Here's an example:
Ultimate Iron Man, from the Ultimate line of comics, is on Earth-1610.
Zombie Iron Man is on Earth 2149.
The 'main' Marvel Universe, the one created by Stan Lee with Fantastic Four #1 back in 1961, is Earth-616. 
The odd thing here is that according to Marvel, Earth-199999 is the Marvel Cinematic Movie Universe, which Iron Man started and therefore AoS is part of. So I'll be on the lookout for that number to pop up too.
Now for the biggie...
...nope. Didn't see that coming.
I try to stay away from spoilers as a general rule. 
When it comes to Marvel Movies, I dodge and avoid.
When it comes to AoS, I bury my head in the sand and sing lalala. So yeah, I squealed like a little girl.
Much to Mrs. Adorkification's amusement.

No comments:

Post a Comment