Thursday, October 17, 2013

A word about memes...

First of all, it's pronounced "meeeeem", as in rhymes-with-theme, and not like a French-Canadian grandmother...which is how I've been saying it.

Secondly, I think I've found one. It started simply enough,
I've been seeing a lot of these "Keep Calm and..." signs at work.
"Keep Calm and Drink Coffee"
"Keep Calm and Take a Nap"
"Keep Calm and See a Movie"
 and thought it was a little nuts.

Then I stumbled upon this:
and I thought "Cool!"
Turns out, there's a lot of these...



and I was hooked.
I know that minimalism in art is a thing, but I admire anything, picture or saying, that takes a popular character and boils it down to the simplest form while still summing that character up.
My only complaint is the use of symbols at the top, but since there's usually a British Crown there, I'll let it go.
Here's the latest one I found, made by Neil Kristian on Deviantart, who made some of the others above:
See, If I was at all creative, I would have made one with a slightly different line...
"Keep Calm and Raise an Army"
And there's so much potential there too:
"Keep Calm and Wield the Power Cosmic"
"Keep Calm and Wreck Things"
"Keep Calm and Visit Limbo"
"Keep Calm and Open the Bifrost"
Anyways, I finally understand what meme's are..and how addictive they can become.

No comments:

Post a Comment