Wednesday, July 15, 2015

SDCC 2015 - The Deadpool trailer

I saw the same crappy-ass footage of the trailer that everyone else unlucky enough to not attend the event got to see...
...and it looks f**king awesomeWhy the hell nobody at Fox released this red band trailer THE NEXT F**KING DAY is beyond me. 
To my knowledge, this film is due out February 12 - making it Valentine's Day Weekend!
And, wait a minute...was that...
 ...was that...Colossus?



HOLY CRAP!!!
Now, I gotta admit - I have his first appearance:
 and I thought the character was crap.
He was just yet another guy who went through the same Weapon X program as a bunch of other fellas, and I was sure he wouldn't last very long. I stopped collecting reading about a year later, so I never saw the character develop. How would I know this silly-a$$ parodic blend of Wolverine and Deathstroke would dominate the comic-reading consciousness? 
But anyways...
I'm familiar enough to know that Weasel is essentially Microchip and Vanessa is Copycat - a mutant who can "copy" the physical appearance (like Mystique) and the abilities (like Rogue) of another person. 
By the way - if any of this is a spoiler for you, you know less about Deadpool than I do.
I'm really looking forward to this film (a heck of a lot more that that Fantastic Four fiasco waiting in the wings), and it was nice to see Ryan take his Green Lantern past in stride. I don't know what he did to pass through that experience, but he's made it through and he looks good. But all this Deadpool talk has me thinking:
How much does this film need to make to be a 'hit'?
Box Office Mojo doesn't have a budget listed. Neither does IMDB. What makes me worried is that this has all the earmarks of Serenity: a fan-motivated film, produced by 20th Century Fox, created to appease the fans.
Which was, in Hollywood terms, a "flop".
Despite the rabid fan base, and the emotional return of everyone involved from Firefly, the film cost $39 million to make...and had a worldwide gross of $38,869,464. 
Yeah. I loved it too.
And even though the film came within like $130,000 of what it took to make (not counting DVD/Blu-ray sales), there was a loss. And when it comes to 20th Century Fox...
...THIS is all that matters.
So what does this mean for Deadpool (even with the R rating it deserves?)? 
It means we need to buy tickets. Lots of them. 
* If we have a choice to see it in IMAX, 3-D, or even IMAX 3-D, we do so. 
* We need to talk the S#!T out of this film.
* We need to see it twice. Once opening weekend, and again two weeks later as a matinee.
 * We need to drag our wives, husbands and significant others to see this film...even if it means sitting through some twangsty lovesick tear-jerker to make up for it.
Hey - I'm talking sacrifices here Scott!
 Now, if we can just get Fox to sell the rights back to Marvel...

No comments:

Post a Comment