Wednesday, July 1, 2015

First Impressions - Daredevil: "Daredevil"

At long last - the final episode of Season One!
This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...

Episode 13: "Daredevil"
The Good:
Doris not blaming Karen for Ben's death.
This is important, because Doris could easily have gone the other way. In fact I was expecting her to, but she didn't. Why not? Because Doris knows knew her husband so well. She knew the man she married, and if it wasn't this particular story that got him killed it would have been another one. I knew this kind of relationship existed among police officers, firefighters and soldiers, but it never occurred to me that the same thing is true with investigative reporters. It takes a certain type of person to do that kind of job, and a different type of person to love that type of person.

Speaking of Ben, it was clear that there was a Wilson-sized leak at the Bulletin...just not the one I was expecting.

Wilson's "proposal" to Vanessa.
That was one hell of a way to do it. It really fit their relationship well, and for a second I thought I was watching an episode of The Blacklist. The scene had that same kinda vibe.

And having Wilson just stare into the cell wall was brilliant.

The Bad:
You knew this was coming.
I will say that I like the suit. It's kind of a cross between:
the classic look,
 and the 1990's re-design.
I also liked how Melvin described the suit...by color.
(sigh...)

My problem (along with everyone else's) is with the cowl.
There's been a lot of chatter on the interwebs about it, and rightfully so.
'Cause it looks damn awful.
It's not Cox's fault. He's a damn fine actor and did a hell of a job on this project. I'm looking forward to seeing him continue in the role for years to come. It's Costume Designer Stephanie Maslansky's fault. Along with everyone in Costume and Wardrobe and possible the producers and director. What the hell were they thinking? 
I mean, Ben Affleck's cowl looks cooler.
Maybe it's just the nose that needs to go. Maybe the horns have to move up. Maybe it's the overall expression on the thing. Maybe it's all of the above, maybe it's something completely different. Now I'm not saying anyone should be fired or driven out of Hollywood, but this was clearly an "oops" that needs to be corrected pronto. 

The WTF?:
Leland dies?
I am SO F**KING BUMMED by this!
I was really looking forward to seeing him get all Owl-ed up in Season 2... but I guess he has a son? What's his name? Junior? 

Adorkification Moments:
Matt to Wilson: "You have failed this city!"
Has Matt been watching listening to Arrow?

Turk getting nabbed!
My hopes for this guy is that he meets Grotto while in prison, and together they either escape or are set free by another baddie. Wouldn't surprise me in the least if it was Owlsley Junior.

Melvin's studio.
I saw the Stilt-Man stilts, and the buzz-saw blade was cool...but they're making him into The Tinkerer and I don't like it. Having Melvin make costumes like Matt's? Okay. Having him make his own Gladiator outfit? Fine. But giving this simple man the technical know-how to engineer the stilts and Matt's upgraded Billy-Club? A stretch at least. As a side note, I hope they go into Matt saving Betsy in Season 2.

Having said what I said about the cowl, I gotta give credit to the same people for the "new and improved" Billy-Club. It was AWESOME!

And if you thought I wouldn't recognize John Romita Jr.'s Daredevil art...you're WRONG!

No comments:

Post a Comment