Sunday, January 25, 2015

First Impressions - Gotham: 'What the Little Bird Told Him'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 12: 'What the Little Bird Told Him'
The Good:
Overhead projectors?
I know Gotham's got money problems, and most of what money exists goes to either the Maronis or the Falcones, but is this a police station or a grade school?
*
Peter F**KING Scolari!!!
Whoever gave him the "proto-Commissioner Gordon" look needs a promotion and a raise! That was fantastic casting...
 ...and it's been a while since I've seen him in anything.
*
Good to see Zsasz again!
Bullock's face when he met Dr. Thompkins. 
I felt for Nygma. 
I'm also glad the riddle was explained. Bullet in a cupcake? I wouldn't have got it. As for Ms. Kringle's "boyfriend", I recognize the actor, but if Nygma decides to kill him I'd back him up. Or at least play lookout. 

The Bad: Irwin's Electronics. It's one of those things that I feel I should know...but don't.
*
Falcone said "hush" to Zsasz. I haven't read the story, but I know it was popular. So, there's that.

The WTF?:
I'm glad he didn't die when he touched the doorknob, but why the F**K would he make such a mistake? Oswald would never do that, so I'm pinning it on the writers. That was some bad writing there.

*
Oh - I've got issues with this guy...
1) Jim, the next time you're in the station house, and bad guys show up, and you get the drop on one...JUST SHOOT HIM! You don't have to kill, just take out a knee, or an arm. But I will say this: putting the drink on the equipment? Nice.
2) No one, and I mean NO ONE, takes a shower in a men's locker room and walks out to the lockers a) dressed, and b) with dry hair. Never mind the fact that he's living there, and we all know he didn't know Dr. Thompkins was there. Where's that button...
...'cause that's some straight up right there. Which brings me to - 
3) 
I get why this is happening.
I don't like it.
Not. One. Bit.
This takes me out of the moment. I first saw Dr. Thompkins in B:TAS, and she was presented as a caring mother-figure for Bruce. Not unlike Gordon's father-figure. But I never thought of these two characters having a relationship. Now, maybe this is just an attempt to get people talking, and the creator-people aren't continuing in this direction. But whether they are or not, the spell's already been broken for me. I like this show and I'll keep watching, but this is not the Gotham City I wanted to see. This is just another in the great multiverse of Elseworlds.

Adorkification Moment:
Commissioner Loeb.
Promotion and a raise. I'm telling you.

No comments:

Post a Comment