Wednesday, January 14, 2015

First Impressions - Agent Carter: 'Time and Tide'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 3: 'Time and Tide'
The Good: I like the narration intro. Although I was surprised to hear her say Steve was the "love of [her] life".
I'm confused.
I've seen Peggy in two films, several television episodes and a one-shot and I n-e-v-e-r heard her say she loved Steve. If it was implied, it was never inferred. I know they were attracted to each other, and other characters may believe they were an item, but they never went on one freakin' date. So forgive me if I'm not feeling the "time-lost lovers" thing. Even Romeo and Juliet spent some time together beforehand.

The Bad: Not really a "bad", but it is funny how that same bird always flies to the top left corner of my screen every time the Phone Company Building is shown in daylight. At night, however, the bird must either be hunting or sleeping.
* Jarvis' backstory. I get that it was one of the main points of the episode, but I really don't care. I mean yes, knowing that he's been married to Anna for a while prior to this show takes place is nice, but it was obvious in the pilot that he cares for his wife deeply and has no intention of having any romantic feelings for Carter.
(sigh)
Yes, it was also nice to hear how Jarvis met Howard. What would have been better? If we could have SEEN Jarvis meet Howard. 
As for the treason, unless it has something specifically to do with the MMU, I just don't care.
* This show is starting to feel like it's going too far down the "mystery within mystery" road:
1) They found (at least some) of Howard's "bad babies", but we only get to see one of them. And it doesn't look or sound familiar. 
2) We get introduced to another supporting character, who also doesn't look or sound familiar.
3) We learn what that heart-symbol means, but are nowhere closer to learning what Leviathan is.
4)They killed the one SSR agent who began learning about Carter's involvement. Reminds me of almost everyone on Smallville who learned Clark's secret.

The WTF?: You're telling me Agent Carter would leave her handbag in plain sight of the doorway as SSR agents knock on Stark's front door?
You're even telling me Jarvis wouldn't notice the handbag in the doorway prior to opening the door?

*The whole premise behind SSR still going after Howard. They thought he was a traitor for "losing" his stuff and selling it to bad men. They find a lot of his stuff in crates...after Howard went missing...and blame him for the death of one of their agents? Why the hell would Howard disappear only to show up where his stuff was and then kill an agent nowhere near where his stuff was going? If the truck carrying his "babies" was hit, and the stuff vanished, and some SSR agents were killed in the process, then I'd believe they'd believe Howard was behind it.

Adorkification Moment: Um...was there one? Maybe it's in one of the crates.

No comments:

Post a Comment