Friday, January 30, 2015

WTF? Friday...1/30/2015

Aw hell...
In part, I'm mad at myself for not seeing this coming. When I first heard about this, it was said that Marvel's doing a full Crisis - meaning they were taking all of their alternate realities (at least 300 or so) and combining them into one,
(sigh)
which was a shock. I thought Marvel did a fantastic job keeping their multiverse in check. As of right now, however, it seems they're only combining the two largest: The Ultimate Universe (which was a waste from the beginning) and The House That Stan Built.
I know.
I guess Earth-1610 just got too big and convoluted (not unlike DC's Post-Crisis Earth with lapses regarding Superboy's existence and therefore the creation of the Legion in the 30th Century), proving the point that when the decision is made to re-create a universe from scratch...it helps that everyone involved is on the same damn page.
 So we'll see.
Another argument in favor of this "melding" is to make it easier for the public to connect the dots between the comics and the films. Here's a quote from Jamelle Bouie from Slate.com (you can read the article here):
It’s tempting to wave this away as minutiae for nerds, but it’s a change that could reverberate through the Avenger films and other Marvel properties, i.e., the products ordinary people actually care about.
"...ordinary people"?
W...T...F...?
1) Everyone following the films, which is a lot of people considering the number of views the new TV spot and trailers for Avengers: Age of Ultron have gotten, can't be considered "ordinary" - there's too darn many. They may be nerds, fans, geeks...dorks even, but ordinary?
2) Marvel has done a pretty good job at keeping the films a separate entity from the comics. The MCU-related books (while not very good) have been clearly designated as MCU-related books, and I haven't read or heard anything about "ordinary people" getting confused and buying the wrong books.
There's also speculation that this event could mean that the Miles Spidey would come into the fold rather than the Peter Spidey. This I'm on the fence about. While I'm HUGELY in favor of Spider-Man becoming an Avenger, I grew up with Peter so I'm biased. If anything, could this mean that May "Spider-Girl" Parker could show up?
...
In any case, this event is a big deal that I hope can be pulled off successfully. I love the films, but the comics came first. If they fall apart...

No comments:

Post a Comment