Sunday, July 6, 2014

A Netflix film for the summer...

Major League!
Readers know I'm not a fan of Baseball. I respect the sport and the players, and am happy for the Red Sox when they're doing well, but the game in and of itself bores me to tears. It's a game I enjoy playing more than watching.
Baseball movies, on the other hand, are downright cool.
A League of Their Own,  Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams (though not technically a baseball film) and this are among my favorite films of all time. But why this one?
* The year it was made...
It came out in April, and I saw it in the theater with high school friends.
* The premise...a "down and out" tram full of nobodies and has-beens try their best to make it to the playoffs and beyond.
And most importantly?
* The cast...you've got:
Tom Berenger (later of Sniper,  The Substitute and Inception)
Charlie 'Carlos Estevez' Sheen (who was a Wild Thing looong before getting "Tiger Blood")
Corbin Bernsen (that guy from L.A. Law and Psych)
Margaret Whitton (whom I remember from The Secret of My Succe$s, don't judge)
James Gammon (whom I don't remember from anywhere else, but his voice is awesome)
Rene Russo (That's right, Thor's mother)
Wesley Snipes (almost ten years before Blade)
Dennis Haysbert (whom I didn't recognize, but was later in 24 as the President, and all those Allstate commercials)
...and, of course, Bob Uecker (whom I remember from Mr. Belvedere, but apparently had a career in Baseball before that)
I know...right?
If you've got 90 minutes to kill and have access to Netflix, check it out. The sequels were so-so, but this one is worth a watch.


No comments:

Post a Comment