Monday, June 17, 2013

First Impressions: Man of Steel

Here's my Spoiler-free review...

Adorkette and I saw this yesterday in IMAX 3-D and while awesome, I can't say it was perfect.

This was a great Father's Day film, and I'm not alone in that way of thinking because the 3:45 showing was basically full...which is a good sign for the movie.

The special effects were great, but where it lost me a bit was with the 3-D aspect. This film was converted in post-production - like The Avengers - and along with that movie, there were some points where it was unnecessary...and some points where it could have been done more.

It's so hard for me not to go into detail, thus revealing spoilers, but I will say that this is a worthy successor to the classic Superman: The Movie.
Let's look at how it did financially:

To start with, it set a record for the highest (domestic) opening weekend for the month of June with $125.1 million (including Thursday's showings). This puts MoS right behind IM3 for top grossing films of 2013 so far.

When we add in the Foreign grosses, MoS made almost $196.7 worldwide.

Putting it in perspective, 2006's Superman Returns made just shy of $200.1 million in the States...in it's entire run.

MoS had a budget of $225 million, so it has a ways to go to break even...but we're only talking about $29 million give or take, which I can easily see it doing over the course of this week.

Hopefully, this will mark the beginning of a DC Movie Universe...which we sorely need.

No comments:

Post a Comment