Monday, November 5, 2012

Ladies and Gentlemen...Mickey Dolenz

Question: What do the songs "Sugar, Sugar" and "Johnny B. Goode" have in common?

Part of the answer is that they're on Mickey Dolenz' new album Remember.
I remember Dolenz from The Monkees, which - for anyone younger than I - was a television show about a band...who ended up touring around the world and releasing many albums. If you've seen This is Spinal Tap, you get the idea. Only The Monkees aired in 1966.

Anyway, I saw Dolenz interviewed on Kevin Pollak's Chat Show - which is on Hulu, and should be checked out - and it was great to hear stories about his life before/during/after Monkees, including an interesting anecdote about Frank Zappa & The Mothers Of Invention.

I haven't bought music in a while...outside of movie soundtracks but that's another story...but I think I'll check this out.

Oh - and for the record: "Sugar, Sugar" was to be The Monkees' next song, but they had broken up. The song went to The Archies. As for "Johnny B. Goode", that was Dolenz' audition song for The Monkees.

Cool, huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment