Thursday, November 14, 2013

I caved...sort of...

I bought Man of Steel on Blu-ray Tuesday, which is significant.
When DVD's started replacing VHS, I was extremely skeptical of that "newfangled technology". So when we finally caved and got a DVD player, I began my investigations into determining which films were worthy of the upgrade. The biggest factors were Bells-and-Whistles, the extra stuff not available on VHS, and the personal impact certain films had on my life. 
Then this "newfangled Blu-ray technology" came out, and once again I scrutinized over every purchase. Yeah, they look better than their DVD counterparts, but are the upgrades worth the $20-$40?
They are...to the point that I'll never buy a DVD again...but my magnifying glass has gotten a whole lot bigger.
That being said, I was thinking about this particular Blu-ray a lot. I don't even have Superman: The Movie on Blu-ray - yet. But I eventually caved for two reasons:
* It was cheaper to get it now, which makes no sense.
* It is (supposedly) the first movie of the DC Movie Universe (which I will forevermore call the DCMU).
When Iron Man came out, I only had the DVD player, so I got the DVD. I just bought the Blu-ray version this year. Way better. But I'm such a fan of the MMU that I'm hooked for life anyway.
DC, in general, has always been a mixed bag. Their animation has always been better, and they've been regularly successful on television for decades. Film not so much. Say what you want, but if they're gonna be introducing Batman to the screen for the third time, they've got problems. But more than that, their comics have been uneven for decades. Crisis on Infinite Earths I understood. But rebooting their books twice since then? 
Ridiculous.
So why buy the Blu-ray?
Mostly because I want to see where the DCMU goes. I've given up on their comics (except for the stuff of my youth and before) and liked the Nolan/Bat-verse, - why they couldn't bring Superman into that we'll never know - but this film was meant to be Film One. Intentionally and deliberately. 
And I'm curious...

No comments:

Post a Comment