Sunday, December 21, 2014

House M.D. vs. Sherlock

Mrs. Adorkification and Adorkette have started watching House M.D. on Netflix.
And honestly, I just don't get it.
This right here. This sums up the character.
I mean, I get that he's a spin on Sherlock Holmes...
...clearly...
...but he's an ass.
A likable ass? Maybe, just not by me.
My wife and I talked about this. I like a good mystery, medical or otherwise. But if I can't stand the main character, as in the detective doctor who's sole purpose on the show is to solve said mystery, I couldn't care less about who whatdunnit. 
Cumberbatch's Sherlock may be an ass, but it's because he doesn't have the brain space to acknowledge his ass-ness. It's all used up on his brilliance. Cumberbatch's version is, in essence, clueless to his effect on others.
Laurie's House knows he's an ass, he just doesn't give a s**t.
You could say he doesn't have a heart. Or just that it's three sizes too small.
Then there's the drug addiction.
House takes all kinds of drugs because he's in constant pain - the result of a medical procedure on his right thigh. Sherlock Holmes (in the books) took drugs when he was bored. And only when he was bored. Having a mystery to solve took Holmes out of his funk and got his mojo working.
As for Cumberbatch's version, I couldn't tell you if he's on drugs or not. I remember him complaining about being bored, but a drug user?
House's drug use, while illegal and ethically questionable, made sense. If I was in constant pain, and a doctor capable of prescribing whatever, I'd probably do the same thing. As for Doyle's version, Holmes' actions at that time period also made sense. The difference is that House's pain is meant to be constant (unless it isn't, they've played with the idea that he's an addict, and doesn't really need the pain meds) so the pills aren't meant to keep his brain occupied when he's not working...unlike Doyle's original version. 
This guy I like. I'd watch this guy.
This guy, not so much.
Maybe because I remember him from Blackadder 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment