Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Someone I plan on meeting after I die…


Ernest Brognine

You know, there’s not a lot of people of my parents’ generation that would make this list.

I’ve never seen McHale’s Navy, or Marty and had no idea he was once married to Ethel Merman.

But I’ll always remember him for two things…okay, three…no, four…five?:

   
1) Escape From New York

This is the first thing I ever saw Borgnine in that I thoroughly enjoyed. (I saw The Poseidon Adventure when I was eight and wasn’t really paying attention.) His role in this film is the personification of excellence. A friend of mine (roughly twenty years younger than myself) saw Escape for the first time last month and said he “didn’t care for it much”.

I wanted to kick him in the face.

Anyway, the argument can be made by many better than me about Borgnine’s best roles, but this is one of my favorites.

     
2) Airwolf

This was a great show that unfortunately doesn’t hold up after the first season. Borgnine played Dominic Santini, the “Goose” to Jan Michael-Vincent’s “Maverick” if you will. Dom was also the mechanic, and knew more about helicopters than anyone…and actually flew Airwolf once in a while. I’ll never forget the episode when he helps a little girl…played by a young Shannen Doherty…out of a jam.

  
3) SpongeBob SquarePants

My daughter was just the right age when this show came out, and one of the few I actually enjoyed watching. Borgnine lent his voice in the first season to SpongeBob’s childhood hero…Mermaid Man. And anyone from my generation who watches this episode will fall on the floor laughing, because there is no greater tribute to DC’s Aquaman from the old cartoons that this character. Mermaid Man has been in about twelve episodes since, and they’re all gold.


       
4) The Comedian

Remember back in 1988 or so when there was talk of bringing Watchmen to the screen? I sure as hell do. It went as far as casting, and someone somewhere said they thought Borgnine would be perfect for Comedian.

They were right, and it would have been awesome!

5) Wolverine

Before Hugh, there was Jacko. Before Jacko, there was Borgnine.

There was talk in the early eighties (before the time of Airwolf) to bring X-Men to the screen, and Borgnine’s name came up.

There are two significances to this, first is that it’s been the only time an American actor (and yes, I’m including Mel Gibson) had his name mentioned in the same breath as Wolverine…ever. Secondly, if they went that way, we would have seen a Logan much older than he appears in the books. Not a bad idea per se, but definitely different.

So when I die, I’ll buy my ticket for the Borgnine marathon. I’ll see what the “old guys” grew up seeing and sing along to “Everyone’s Coming to New York”.

And every time I see him…I mean every time…I’ll shout out “WAMBO!!!”

Cause you just have to…

No comments:

Post a Comment