Tuesday, September 30, 2014

First Impressions - Gotham: 'Selina Kyle'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...


Episode 2: 'Selina Kyle'
The Good: I mentioned last week that Selina was my favorite character to date, so I was excited to see the title of this episode.
* She speaks!
* When I first saw the Trident logo I thought it was a nod to Aquaman.
* That first shot of Bruce and the candle. Don't tell me that's not the same holder he uses later...
* Penguin's character development. He's got a goal, and has a plan - even if it doesn't work out the way he wanted it to. Is it wrong for me to root for this guy?
* The kidnapping duo. I recognized Lily Taylor right off. She was great in Almost Human and, my favorite, Say Anything. As for Frank Whaley, I just rewatched 'The Good Samaritan' last night so he was fresh in my mind as a scary-ass guy that I knew was trouble.
* Having Selina go by 'Cat'.
* Mention of The Dollmaker. I thought Toyman was a Superman villain, and presumed they were working Superman into the series (which would have been AWESOME) but then I realized they said Dollmaker. My guess? The Ventriloquist.
* Fish Mooney. She's growing on me, but am I the only one to think of Vixen while listening to her describe how she'd take out Falcone?
* Two words: Carole Kane!

The Bad: Message to WB/CW/DC - when you title an episode of one of your shows after an established character, you might want to consider centering said episode around...the...character
* I know Selina talks in the episode...but not until the second half of the show? Really?
* The Trident logo was SO not a nod to Aquaman.
* The scene where the two newly captured kids wake up in the room with the others. My mind went immediately to Cloak and Dagger...but that's another publishing company.
* Riddler. Was he needed in this episode? Not really, and we got yet another glimpse at his social awkwardness. A quick riddle might have saved it, but there wasn't one.
* When Gordon found the room and the kids, I was thinking New Mutants...but that's another publishing company.
* Alfred. I've never thought of how he would have handled raising young Master Wayne, and in a way his actions make sense, but I just can't see him raising his voice to the boy. Ever.
* Lazlo. I get the message Falcone was making, but I feel like I should know the name Lazlo. And I don't.

The WTF?: Okay - time to get picky. Selina asks the cop at the bus to speak to Gordon. She later sneaks off the bus and is chased by Lily Taylor until she's caught...and saved by Gordon. At this point, I get the impression she has no idea who he is other than "another cop" which is why she doesn't say much to him. Then she's back at the station and asks for Gordon again, and tells him that she's been watching him, knows who he is, what he looks like and that he's working the Waynes' murder case. Why didn't she tell him all this back at the warehouse-like place when they were alone? Drama? WTF?

Adorkification Moment: I was ready to find out the bum who was shot was Hudson Pyle...the Cavalier.
What? You didn't see him pull out a sword to protect the kids?

No comments:

Post a Comment