Tuesday, September 23, 2014

First Impressions - Gotham: 'Pilot'

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
You've been warned...
Episode 1: 'Pilot'
The Good: Of all the characters "introduced" in this episode, I liked Selina the most. Having her witness the Wayne's murders was a pleasant twist. Seeing her at the funeral was even better. Anyone else notice she never said a word the entire episode?
* Penguin's intro was cool too. Predictable at times (mostly due to being over-promoted), but nice.
* Question Montoya and Spectre Allen as a team. Even though I haven't read a DC comic since 52, I knew these two were partners on the force at some point.
* Montoya "knowing" Barbara. At first I thought FOX was morphing Barbara and Kathy Kane, but I'm glad to see I was wrong. Keeping Montoya's homosexuality intact was important, and giving her a history with Barbara was unexpected.
* Riddler. I wasn't aware he would be in the GCPD on this show, so that was a surprise.
* Essen. I remember her being a six-foot tall swede in the comics, but whatever.
The Bad: Fish Mooney. I have nothing against Jada Pinkett Smith. I have nothing against ethnic characters in comics, or in movies and television shows based on comics. It just bothers me when characters are created for the sole purpose of diversity. Why exactly does this character exist?
* Clearly, giving Barbara a past with Montoya allows her to have something to hide from Gordon. Seeing her stand up for her man when Montoya accused him of being dirty made sense. Giving her a "dirty little secret" to hide from her man didn't. I half expected Barbara to just tell him about her past relationship after he handed her the drink. Then again, I was also half expecting him to have already known about it.
* Bullock. Again - I have nothing against the actor (Donal Logue), but I think this character is misplaced. If anything, Logue should be playing Flass. To me, Bullock has always been the "gray" cop. The one who doesn't tiptoe on the line, but boldly strides over it, and yet has always been loyal to Gordon. He may not agree with Gordon, but he respects him. I don't feel that here. I kept wanting Gordon to shoot, hit, sonething Logue, but he can't...because he's Bullock.
* Ivy. She felt "thrown in". I think she should have been introduced in a later episode. There was enough going on.
The WTF?: The Waynes' killer. Until now, he's always been shown as either high or scared. The deaths resulting from a quick startle, misunderstanding or by accident. That's not the case here. This guy was cold, methodical and intentional. He was ready to kill Bruce too...which is wrong. Batman's philosophy on criminals has always been that they are "a superstitious, cowardly lot". An opinion created by the death of his parents. Why? Because the killer of his parents was cowardly. Clumsy. Skittish and afraid of his own shadow or the voices in his head. He shoots Thomas and Martha, and then runs away in fear without so much as a look in Bruce's direction. In Gotham, this guy was calm and collected. He wasn't robbing them randomly, he was using the robbery to cover up the assassinations. Even I could see that. He even looked Bruce in the eye. Fear was nowhere to be seen.  
Adorkification Moment: Heh...you need to ask? It was Joker's appearance.
No. Not the comedian on stage when Mooney beats up Penguin...
...the guy Selina pickpockets in the first three minutes of the show.



No comments:

Post a Comment