Saturday, May 11, 2013

Casting Call...Tony Stark

There's been talk of RDJ no longer assuming the role, or only returning for future Avengers sequels.

Honestly, I hope he returns. Even if it's just in Avengers 2 and 3. But let's face it - he will eventually be replaced.

What I'm doing here is listing my Top Five actors who I think could do the character justice going forward.

Here's my criteria...
1) The actor is playing Tony Stark, not RDJ playing Tony Stark.

2) I'm assuming that Marvel Studios is going the James Bond route...meaning there's no time-travel/alternate universe/clone/LMD stuff. Just a new actor continuing the role in the same universe that's happening now.

3) American actors only. Why? Because over at Warner Brothers they had Christian Bale as Batman and Gary Oldman as Gordon, and now Henry Cavill is Superman...all British actors. So they've got that market.

4) And of course, they can't be playing an existing MMU character...meaning no Sebastian Stan or Clark Gregg.

Here we go...

5) Johnny Depp

He's got the charm, charisma and draw that RDJ has.

So why is he #5?

Because he's roughly the same age as RDJ, and I honestly think that Tony Stark is too "mainstream" a role for him.

I can totally see him somewhere within the MMU, like a villain or something, but as Tony?

You have to admit though - he's got the look.





#4) Joaquin Phoenix

This actor has a history, much like RDJ.

So why is he #4?

The suit.

I just can't see him in the suit.

To be fair, I never thought RDJ would make it work either.





#3) Shia LaBeouf

Forget Transformers...just get it out of your heads right now...and maybe Crystal Skull while you're at it...

...but as an actor, I can see this guy pulling off the wit and mechanic savvy of the role while actually in the suit.

So why is he #3?

Three words: Transformers and Crystal Skull.

Then again, does anyone remember Air America?




#2) Jensen Ackles

I've never seen a single episode of Supernatural, but even I know that show's been on too long. Give it a rest already!

If you've never seen Ten Inch Hero, do so. This guy is funny, charming, and could totally handle the whole "I'm gonna do what I think is right even if S.H.I.E.L.D., Cap and Rhodey think I'm nuts" mentality.

And yeah, he could handle the suit.

So why is he #2?

Because #1 would be an idiot to turn it down...


#1) Joseph Gordon-Levitt

Can I just say that if you put the 'stach and 'tee on this pic, you'd have Tony Stark?

Not only that, but with JGL replacing RDJ Marvel Studios would be opening the door to the next generation of great actors to play their characters.

I can even see Shia playing Banner to JGL's Stark.

I know what you're thinking..."What about the next Batman film?"

Well, by the time DC and WB got their s#!t together to cast it, JGL'll be in the middle of making Iron Man 6! 'Nuff Said!







Honorable Mention...

Sean Faris

Don't know who this guy is, and I haven't seen a thing he's done.

He does make the look work though...




In Marvel Studios I Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment