Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Crossovers have their limits...

So this month...today in fact, if my intel is right...Archie #641 features yet another crossover:
This isn't the first time Archie's gang enter other universes...
...or even connected with other musicians...
...but I have to say that they've jumped the shark here.

It looks to me as a 'last gasp' effort on both parties. If they want to do a crossover with a musical television show, both sides should go all out.

Here's what I mean, starting with the comic:
* Back in my day, Bloom County (which was a fantastic comic strip by the way) released a book where the characters formed a heavy metal band. To promote the story, they included a 'floppy record' - a square record made of flexible vinyl that could be played on a device my generation called a  r e c o r d - p l a y e r. Nowadays, there'd be a link to iTunes where buyers of the comic could download a copy of the Glee kids singing "Sugar Sugar" or something. That'd be cool.

As for the show:
* They could have a bunch of 'transfer students' show up for a few weeks (and tie into the plot of the comic).
* Or they could meet up with Archie's gang at a different competition in another state.
* They could even have the cast dress up and act as Archie characters for an episode.

My point is - there should be a higher level of commitment on both sides.

But I still have $5 that says there will be a "Sugar Sugar" cover on an episode in the near future.

Now, if they could only get Mickey Dolenz to appear on the show...

No comments:

Post a Comment