Thursday, June 7, 2012

Iron Man 3 Update...A.I.M.

For those of you who crave every morsel of info on any upcoming Marvel Studios film, like me, I submit this from (one of) the set(s) of Iron Man 3


In the comics, Advanced Idea Mechanics first appeared in Strange Tales #146 (July, 1966), and was made up of scientists that manufactured weapons for Wolfgang Von Strucker's HYDRA during the Second World War. In effect, A.I.M. was personified by Arnim Zola in Captain America: The First Avenger - a brilliant scientist who made weapons and stuff for a bad...bad man. More on this in a bit...

Back in the day - or I should say back in my day, because I have no clue how they’re used now - A.I.M. was primarily (aside from HYDRA) a nemesis for S.H.I.E.L.D. Sort of the KAOS to Get Smart’s CONTROL. They also wore outfits that allowed them to beat the tar out of the Silver Age Green Lantern:


and made three major scientific breakthroughs in the Marvel Universe:

 
1) The Cosmic Cube, called the Tesseract in the films. Now, the interesting point here is that A.I.M. created the container that holds the energy, not the energy itself. In short, they created the “cube” in which the “cosmic” could be safely contained. 

In the films, the Tesseract came from Odin's treasure room...but it hasn't been revealed yet where Odin got it from. I doubt they'll say it was made by A.I.M. but was deemed by Odin to be too powerful an object for mortals to wield. Most likely, Marvel Studios will not bring the Tesseract back into play since it's once again in Odin's treasure room.

2) The Super-Adaptiod. This thing can replicate the appearance, and the abilities, of any super-powered being. In the comics, his power source was the Cosmic Cube. 

It's one thing to have a creature look like Steve Rogers and fight like Steve Rogers, but Tony Stark's great ability is his inventiveness. He's a brilliant designer of Iron Man suits, but needs machines to actually build them. So having a creature look like Tony Stark is not the same thing as giving it Stark's abilities...the creature would still need machines to build the armor...right? So, again, I think Marvel Studios will not pursue this character...for now.

Plus, assuming that IM3 takes place after The Avengers, A.I.M. wouldn't have access to the Tesseract. More on that in a minute...

3) M.O.D.O.K. George Tarleton was your average Joe until A.I.M. stuck him in a lab and subjected him to...wait for it...the Cosmic Cube. He became a Mental Organism Designed Only for Computing...until he went berserk, took over A.I.M and became a Mental Organism Designed Only for Killing. 

This is the big buzz around the ‘net right now. There’s rumor and speculation that this guy will either appear in IM3 or make a cameo in IM3 and fully appear in Cap2. I call bulls#!t on that. There’s no way to make this character believable on film. At least not yet.

Here’s my theory...

...A.I.M. brings back Arnim Zola. Someone will have found his notes and "secret stash" of scientific stuff from WWII and use that technology - including any remaining HYDRA weapons which got their power from the Tesseract - to create A.I.M. the company, as well as bring Zola back from the dead.

Only now he'll look like he does in the books. 

Zola will be the "big bad” villain in Cap 2…and eventually, Zola will bring about M.O.D.O.K. in Cap 3 or maybe Avengers 2. As for Thanos, he won't show up until Avengers 3.

In Marvel Studios I Trust

No comments:

Post a Comment