Friday, June 26, 2015

First Impressions - Daredevil: "The Ones We Leave Behind" (WTF? Friday...6/26/2015)

This is by no means a deeply intense dissection of the episode.
It's just my quick comments and notes after seeing the episode only once (a la AoS).
Spoilers after the jump.
(And yes, I'm combining this with a WTF? Friday - it deserves it!)
You've been warned...

Episode 12: "The Ones We Leave Behind"
The Good:
First of all, I'm glad Vanessa's okay. Secondly...
...when she tells Wilson to - basically - "Go get 'em", I got chills.
I love watching a character go from what they where to what they are because of who they're with, 
and it doesn't have to be a romantic relationship either.
But with Vanessa, we get the added benefit of seeing Wilson do everything in his power to keep her out of it (only to continually fail). Fortunately, or unfortunately depending on your point of view, all that does is draw her in deeper.
This has to be my favorite romantic relationship in all of the MCU,
with this being my favorite non-romantic relationship in the MCU.

Speaking of Wesley,
I'm glad they found him.
Then of course Wilson lost his s#!t and beat the messenger...but at least he didn't kill the guy. And later on, he even assigned Vanessa's well-being to the same guy! When Leland asked why, Wilson replied: "Wesley trusted him. That's all that matters."
Seriously.

Meanwhile,
Karen's going through some stuff.
SERIOUS stuff. 
Karen's been a troubled character in the books for decades. I don't remember her doing anything like this when I was reading but still, trouble is trouble.

The Bad:
I thought I missed a scene where Matt got beat up again, but they were just old wounds that opened up again with all that jumping around and stuff. Having said that...
...those were some killer moves.

I wouldn't involve Marci.
Every time a lawyer looks into the private affairs of their own law firm, bad things happen. While I'm not a big fan of this character, it sucks when any character of any character get killed for doing the right thing.

The WTF?:
Madame Gao,
and Leland,
were behind Vanessa's poisoning?
Sonovabitch!

Now for the big one...
 Ben Urich has been a mainstay in Daredevil comics for as long as I can remember.
Like Kingpin, Ben started out in (at least) one of the Spider-Man books until Frank Miller got his hands on them and brought them into Matt's world. Ben knows Matt's secret but understands that Daredevil needs to be out there fighting the fight, so he keeps it to himself. I wouldn't say Ben is the Watson to Matt's Sherlock. In fact, I can't think of another relationship to compare it to. Ben helps Matt out from time to time, and vice versa. So - 
W...T...F...?


You hurt me MCU. You hurt me real deep right there.
WHY THE F**K WOULD YOU KILL BEN?
I just don't f**king get it. What purpose does that serve? To show that Wilson's a badass? We know Wilson's a badass. To show that death happens in the MCU? 
We know that too. 
To shock and appall?
 
Already done.
To return your audience to a previous state of rage, confusion and frustration with the burning heat of a thousand suns?
(sigh...)

Adorkification Moments:
I never noticed it before, but Nelson and Murdock reside in a Van Lunt owned property.

"No one looks at a blind man twice."

"I'm not the bad guy."

No comments:

Post a Comment