Friday, June 19, 2015

About holiday cards...(WTF? Fridays...6/19/2015)

Father's Day is this Sunday.
Father's Day is one of those holidays that I call "Selective" - meaning only selected individuals are authorized to give cards/gifts/etc. Mother's Day, and Valentine's Day are others, and I would also include wedding anniversaries. 
Let me explain:
I would never give Mrs. Adorkification anything for Mother's Day. At least not directly. Sure, I'd help her do something she'd like done (such as gardening), but I wouldn't get her a card or a gift. She's not my mother. My mother, on the other hand, gets a card/present/phone call/Facebook shout out. Likewise, I would never expect Adorkette to get my wife and I anything as a wedding anniversary present...we didn't marry her, we married each other. 
Back to Father's Day...
I got the mail yesterday, and among all the bills and flyers was a card from my mother...wishing me a Happy Father's Day. 
That's right - a Father's Day card, from my mother.
W...T...F...?
She's really into holiday cards. We get them for Easter, Christmas, St. Patrick's Day, Halloween, Thanksgiving - Fourth of July even - (along with birthdays of course) which I'm okay with. Heck - I'd even accept a Cinco de Mayo card. But a Father's Day card from my mother just...feels wrong. I know she means well, but I'd rather get a card saying "Happy Free Comic Book Day" or "May the Fourth Be With You". 
Now that I think about it, I'm gonna start doing that. Happy Free Comic Book Day Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment