Saturday, May 5, 2012

Special "Free Comic Book Day" Edition...

Listen up people: Today is May 5th, 2012.

Free Comic Book Day.

Not only that, the 10th anniversary of FCBD.

So get out there and check things out!!

The main purpose of FCBD is to promote comics as a healthy medium for kids of all ages and to get new readers, but another purpose is to boost local economies by having comic shops host events and draw customers in.

I'm a supporter of both, but I understand the current economic situation...in fact, I'm living the current economic situation. Simply put, I don't have a lot of extra income to spend on fun things. The Avengers is taking a bite out of what little I have. However, I'm going to not just one, but two separate comic shops today to see what they've got going on and take part in the FCBD experience. If I see something I want, and it's on sale (because most shops now have a cheaper "used" section) I'll buy it. If I don't find anything, I'll still be supporting my local businesses by simply being there.

As for the other purpose - that of introducing new readers to the medium - and you're strapped for cash, do what I've done with my daughter: go to your local library. They've got trades there. No. Really. My daughter's into The Walking Dead and I've been catching up with older Transmetropolitan issues. I've also (finally) read V for Vendetta. As a result, I've added more to my "buy them when I can" list.

So get out there damnit, and bring your kids. Doesn't matter if it's just for free stuff, Mickey Mouse, Marvel, DC, independents or Tarot of the Black Rose. Bask in the glory of FCBD!

Then grab some Coronas and have a fajita or two - Cinco de Mayo man...Cinco de Mayo...

No comments:

Post a Comment