Monday, June 30, 2014

Monday Movie Roundup...6/30/2014

Autobots...Transform!
Transformers: Age of Extinction was the top grossing film of the weekend, with $301 million worldwide.
After all the talk of the "quality" of Michael Bay's films, that's what I thought too.
The film took about $210 million to make, so it made a profit in just three days. Any film that manages to do that says something...even Bay's. But still, WTF?
I know there'll be discussion for a while on both sides of the argument - yes, the film is that good vs. no it is not - but money, as they say, talks.
But how does it compare with the other Transformers films?
Using unadjusted worldwide numbers, T: AoE is currently fourth out of five...if you include the animated Transformers: The Movie from 1986.
(You know, the one with Eric Idle providing one of the voices and Weird Al's "Dare to Be Stupid"?) Which I am.
That film made $5.8 million, and will forever (unfortunately) be in last place. Transformers (2007) is currently third, with $709.7 million. Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is second ($836.3 million) and topping them all is Transformers: Dark of the Moon ($1.123 billion).
That's right...billion with a b...
...there you go.
I don't have anything really against this franchise, unlike Avatar - which I refuse to ever watch on principle - but I just can't get behind them. I saw Transformers, and I liked it (except for the parts where I couldn't make anything Tranfsorm-ery out - at all). So I gave T: RotF a try, but the writing was so bad I ended up...well...rotf in a combination of laughter and pain. I gave up after that. I know I'm not alone, but apparently people need films like this out there to make the Summer go away or something. 
But I will say: despite T: AoE needing over $400 million more to break the Top 3, I'm pretty sure it will.
Have a good week everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment