Saturday, June 14, 2014

Black Deckbuilding Preferences - Part Two...

I'm encountering some issues while building my Black deck.
Part of which was expected - the limited number of creatures available. There's nowhere near as many Skeletons as there are Goblins, so I figured I'd follow the rule of no more than four of any one card in a given deck while maintaining our agreed upon fourteen creature cards max in a 40-card deck. But which one(s)..?
Here's what I've come across so far:
Drudge Skeletons is a nice, basic 1/1 creature. It has Regenerate, but requires two Mana to cast. Not all that expensive, but not as cheap as Crazed Goblin.
Manor Skeleton, along with the 1/1, Regenerate and a 2 Mana cost, also has Haste - so it can attack when cast. That is good deal for the price. 
Reassembling Skeleton has the 1/1...the 2 Mana cost...but instead of Regenerate allows me to bring it back into play (albeit tapped) after being killed. Now we're talking. 
Urborg Skeleton is the cheapest to cast...unless you pay the kicker. Even so, the most this creature would be on its own is a 1/2 with Regenerate.
Then there's Skeleton Scavengers. I like this one because it actually grows every time it Regenerates. As it grows, I'd have to increase my Mana payment to make it even stronger, which helps with Mana Burn. A higher casting cost, but worth it.
Restless Bones has the 3 Mana cost, Regenerate (for one Mana less), and when tapped allows a different creature to have Swampwalk (for one Mana more). Okay...but now I need to find a spell that converts land to swamps.
Finally, there's Cinderbones - an Elemental Skeleton. (Why there aren't more Elemental Skeletons I don't know...) But it's a 1/1.
Why would an Elemental Skeleton be a 1/1?
Wither is cool, but I'd have to Regenerate...like a lot.
So I have some decisions to make, and more research to do, but I think this could be a very interesting deck!



No comments:

Post a Comment