Saturday, April 27, 2013

First Impressions...Monsters University Trailer

Here's the latest trailer. I knew this was coming, and was looking forward to it, but...
...it's set in the past.

WTF?

I understand that they wanted to explore how Mike and Sully met.

Okay. I get that.

I also LOVE the idea of setting this film on a college campus.

Brilliant.

But by the end of Monsters Inc., we learned...
...laughter is more powerful than scream...
...Waternoose and Randall were arrested...
...Roz' affiliation with the CDA was revealed...
...Sully was put in charge...
...and most importantly, Sully got back to see Boo again.

I thought Monsters U was going to be a new thing, set up by Mike, Sully and a now grown-up Boo, to get the next generation of monsters to learn how to make kids laugh. Sort of a blend of Animal House and Second City stand-up, where we'd learn about Mike and Sully's history through flashbacks.

Instead, it looks like a blend of Animal House and...dare I say it...Phantom Menace.

Adorkette and I will see it, she was just the right age when Monsters Inc. came out, but I'll do so with a little bit of a heavy heart. Sort of a "what the heck were they thinking?" kind of thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment