Thursday, April 18, 2013

First Impressions: The Hunger Games

I'll admit that I was the last person in my house to see this film.

My wife and daughter saw it in the theater, and now that Netflix has it streamable, I decided to see what the hype was about.

I liked the film. I got the social commentary, like the class struggle and the references to Nazi Germany.

I knew Woody Harrelson was in this film, along with Mystique. But no one...I mean NO ONE...told me that Dr. Erskine and Arnim Zola were in it, and at one point sitting right next to each other. Mind Blown.

But what I didn't get was the hulabaloo. All I saw was Red DawnTwilight, and The Running Game.

I understand that every generation gets (and in many cases deserves) a re-telling of the same themes, where "everything old is new again".

Coming from a youth spent on comics, where everything new was old before, I'm okay with it.

What's new about it (to me anyways) is that Girls Need Heroes.

Which they do.

So if girls like Adorkette (who never got past the first Twilight novel) get hooked on Katniss and read the Games books (which Adorkette not only read, but owns -sitting on a shelf right next to Harry Potter) all the better.

As for me, I'll leave movies and books like this to the younguns, and stick to my numerous comics and comic-based films.

'Nuff Said.

On a side note, I'm taking Adorkette to CT to visit my sister and her family for a few days. If all goes well, I'll be posting again on Sunday so you'll be spared my WTF? Friday this week.

Have a good weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment